Friday, October 31, 2014

My Venezuelan Church and Baptism









     In Venezuela, I attend a church every Sunday in Spanish. My church recently changed its name to El Puente, which means the Bridge. The church is pastored by a missionary from the USA, who has lived in Venezuela for about 20 years and has two daughters currently attending our school. There is also a local pastor, who is leading more and more as the missionary pastor will be on furlough next year.










Pastor Berkey


     The church service is in the same order as many others. We start with a time of worship, which several of my friends help lead. Then, there's the sermon, offering, and a closing song. After church, we move all of the chairs away and bring out a table for a time of fellowship and snacks.







Part of the worship team, ending with one final song

This is the whole church. It is small, but it is
a growing and changing community.












    At the beginning of August, Pastor Berkey invited those in our church to consider being baptized if we hadn't already. I had been baptized as a baby, but not as a believer, so I began praying about being baptized as a believer. After praying about it, I realized this is a step in my faith that I've needed to take for a while. On October 26, 2014, I was baptized as a believer. I had the opportunity to talk and share more with my church about why I was being baptized and who I am as a missionary here. To God be the glory!




After church, there is always a snack (merienda) and coffee.

Being baptized as a believer

Me with friends who came to watch me be baptized

The pastors and I

No comments:

Post a Comment